Northpoint Evangelical Free Church is a congregation of over 1200 people located in Corona, California. Serving the surrounding community for over thirty years, the congregation is committed to worship, growing in Christ-likeness, and promoting His Kingdom. Northpoint was first organized as Corona Evangelical Free Church in 1979 by five families who were members of the Highlander EFC in nearby Riverside. The church now occupies a campus of just over seven acres located in the southern foothills of the Ontario Valley.
The congregation at Northpoint reflects the Southern California suburban community out of which the church has grown. Although families with children are a significant segment, the congregation also includes a fair distribution of retirees, empty-nesters, and those who are single or married without children.
Ministry groups are active and the level of volunteer participation is healthy; both men and women are well-represented in youth and student ministries, missions, local service, and the worship arts. Strong, capable, and willing lay leaders are present in most ministry areas. Biblical teaching is widely desired and the congregation expects strong exposition and application of the Scriptures in both the Sunday morning services and small-group settings.
Worship is an integral part of the body life at Northpoint. Over the years a blended style of worship has been consistent with the goal always being to proclaim the truths of who God is and what He has done for us so that our hearts rejoice in the praise of His name.
Small group ministries are an established part of the intended program of discipleship; those who are active in the life of the church are expected to participate in a small group. However, this is an area that is challenged by the hectic nature and structure of family/work life in Southern California and needs additional growth.
1976, November Corona Evangelical Free Church holds first service
1977, August Pastor Joe Coppinger accepts pastorate
1979, February Five acres of land are purchased on Ontario Avenue
1980, November Pastor Don Smith accepts pastorate
1984, November Pastor Lou Diaz accepts pastorate
1988, Spring Construction begins on current church campus. The first stage of building included the main auditorium, kitchen, offices, and nursery, and an education building with classrooms and offices
1991-1993 Elders lead and teach during a two-year period without a pastor
1993, August Pastor David Hegg accepts pastorate
1995, October The Pavilion opens for ministry. The facility provides a short-term solution for storage and open-air meetings
1996, Spring A second service is added in response to the congregation’s growth
2000, January Timothy Education Building dedicated and opened for use, and includes large open spaces, offices, classrooms, and two large multi-purpose classrooms
2000, May Pastor of Worship and Communication added, Pastor Shannon Barnes accepts the new position
2001, September Planning begins for a new auditorium
2001, November CEFC celebrates its 25th anniversary
2002, June Pastor of Discipleship, Adults added, Pastor Mark Spansel accepts the new position
2002, July Pastor Scott Burns hired as Pastor of Discipleship, Students
2002, August Additional two acres of land purchased
2004, September Groundbreaking for new Worship Center
2004, December New parking lot completed
2005, June New playground/recreation space is completed
2005, July Pastor of Discipleship, Outreach and Community added, Pastor Robert Campbell accepts the new position
2007, January CEFC officially changes its name to Northpoint Evangelical Free Church
2007, March New Worship Center (with a 1000 seat auditorium) is dedicated
2010, March Pastor John Sloan accepts pastorate
2011, May Pastor Jonathon Clubb hired as Pastor of Discipleship, Students
2011, June Pastor Brent Whitefield hired as Pastor of Discipleship, Missions and Community
2011, July Pastor Scott Williams hired as Pastor of Discipleship, Adults and Families
2011, November Northpoint celebrates its 35th anniversary, “Building on a Foundation of Faith”