Christ, the Loving Husband
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. – Ephesians 5:25-33
Hello Church Family,
The glory of God shines in the Bride of Christ. Jesus is at work in His church to reveal Himself to the world, and He shows His love to the world primarily in the way He loves His Bride the church.
Christ is a husband to His people. How does Jesus show His love? His Word expresses it clearly, but He also demonstrates His love in the way He treats His church—the way He created us and the way cares for us and perfects us for eternity with Him.
• Christ would not be denied His Beloved. In obedience to His Father, He gave Himself up to the curse and condemnation of the cross to purchase His Bride with His blood.
• Christ gave Himself for the church so He could sanctify Her (make her His alone, holy and pure), by forgiving our sins, as we confess what His Spirit reveals to us through His Word (1 John 1:9).
• Christ seeks our infinite perfection and beauty. He died for our sins to make us His own perfect bride. He has a vision of who He intends us to be, and He’s working to perfect it in us. We are a blessing to Christ, and He blesses us so we can be a blessing to Him.
Brings Him a Blessing: He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body.
• Christ is working in us, individually and as a body, lovingly perfecting His character in us. His work beautifies His Bride, who rejoices in her beauty and gives herself to Him out of love.
Shines in Our Closest Relationships: “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.” This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church.
• God foreshadowed His plan to unite us with Christ in the essential institutions of humanity.
Is Our Call: However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.
• Christ reveals His love in our marriages, where He calls us to imitate His love.
• Pray for our love to reveal and exalt Christ in our homes and in our church.
Northpoint Prayer Ministry
– Each week, Dave updates a monthly Bible reading plan and writes a Bible and prayer focus, Prayer Life. The preceding is a recent installment. You can pick up both offerings at the Information Center in the Foyer on Sundays, or sign up there to receive them via email. You can also click here to find the archive.