Created (Sexual) for a Purpose
Genesis 1:26-28; 2:18-24
Pastor John Sloan
Introduction: When we live according to God’s design, we actually mirror the character of the One who made us in His likeness. For example, when we show love to other people, we reflect God, who is love (1 John 4). And when we give to people in need, we reflect God, who is generous and self-giving. This is why we were made: to bear the image of our Creator. But we don’t just reflect God by what we do, we also reflect God by who we are, especially, in our sexuality.
Questions for Discussion & Discovery
1. Why is it significant that male and female were created by God, and not self-appointed categories (Genesis 1:27)? What does this say about the care and interest that God invested in creating each one of us?
2. What does it mean that we (men and women) are “image bearers” of God?
3. How do we know that God is concerned about the way humanity reflects His image?
4. Throughout the Scriptures, on constant display is God’s faithfulness, which we as humankind are called to mirror. What are some ways that you have seen God’s faithfulness in your own life?
5. How does our sexuality provide a category for knowing God more fully?
1. “Let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. – 1 John 4:7-8
2. 01. Mankind (alone) was created to MIRROR and REPRESENT God.
3. 02. The Triune nature of God is reflected in the bringing together of two equal yet distinct persons: male and female.
4. “Why male and female? Why two different persons who are equal in being? The answer is perhaps simple. God is three persons and the same being. [As male and female] we reflect God in his unity and diversity. Male and female are equal, but if they were identical—physically and internally—then they would not reflect God’s diversity.” – Tremper Longman
5. “I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.” – Isaiah 42:8
6. “How can I let myself be defamed? I will not yield my glory to another.” – Isaiah 48:11 NIV
7. “For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth … For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him … They exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator … For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.” – Romans 1:21-27
8. 03. The faithfulness of God is mirrored in the exclusivity of the “one flesh” union.
9. “If we are faithless, he remains faithful— for he cannot deny himself.” – 2 Timothy 2:13 ESV
10. “Only the sexual embrace within marriage mirrors the nature of the Trinitarian relationship. In the ideal, it’s loving, permanent, exclusive, and self-giving. Premarital and extramarital sex can’t mirror this reality. This is why it’s not surprising research shows that faithfully married people enjoy the deepest levels of sexual satisfaction.” – Glenn Stanton
11. 04. Sexuality is designed by God as a way to know God more fully.
12. “The language and imagery of sexuality is the most graphic and most powerful that the Bible uses to describe the relationship with God and his people.” – John Piper
13. “And you grew up and became tall and arrived at full adornment. Your breasts were formed, and your hair had grown; yet you were naked and bare. When I passed by you again and saw you, behold, you were at the age for love, and I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness; I made my vow to you and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Lord God, and you became mine.” – Ezekiel 16:7-8