Click HERE to download.
Fixed on Jesus
Pastor Scott Williams
Overview: The Christian life is not like taking a casual stroll along the side streets of life. It is not a wanderer looking for the next adventure or even a tourist who returns back to the same place at the end of his trip. To the writer of Hebrews, the Christian life is like an endurance athlete continually running his race with eyes fixed on Jesus. This next year as a church, let us all strive to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and where he is leading us.
01. The Christian life includes the regular stripping away of hindrances and repeated sins that cause constant struggle.
02. The Christian life involves living, with perseverance, the life that God has determined each of us to live.
03. The Christian life is strengthened when we focus, reflect, and rely on Christ.
Questions For Discussion & Discovery
1. It says here that we are surrounded by a “great cloud of witnesses.” Read Hebrews 11:1-39. What stands out to you about each of the people who are mentioned?
2. We are encouraged to lay aside the sin that clings so closely and entangles us. This next year, what are some personal and maybe corporate sinful patterns that God wants to address?
3. What are some things that can be a temptation to take your eyes of Jesus?
4. What was the “joy” set before Christ that motivated him to endure the shame of the Cross?
5. The first of the year is always a good time to make a new commitment. What will you do differently this year to help keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and reflect on his goodness to you?