Click HERE to download Sermon Notes, Slides, & Song Sheets
Heaven and Earth Will Pass Away
Pastor Taylor Mendoza, Student Ministries Pastor
Overview: The disciples and Jesus find themselves on the temple mount in awe of the beauty of the temple. Despite the beauty, Jesus prophesies that the temple would be destroyed within the generation of His disciples in AD 70. Jesus gives a list of signs that include intense persecution, false messiahs, and the abomination of desolation. He then moves on to discuss His second coming before comforting and challenging His disciples to put their confidence in His Word and to stay active, especially in times of crisis. The grounds of their hope is the truth that heaven and earth will pass away, but the words of Jesus Christ will never pass away.
Application Point: Disciples have an active and hopeful confidence in the Word of God during times of crisis.
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION & DISCOVERY
- Has there ever been a time where you asked a question and didn’t expect the answer that you got? Share this with your group or small group.
- Have you ever heard someone teach this passage in a different way? Do you agree or disagree with their approach to this passage? Be sure to give biblical reasons for your answer.
- How often do you think about the persecuted church? In what ways are you challenged by those who endure intense persecution around the world? (For more information, visit persecution.org for more information on how you can pray for persecuted Christians worldwide).
- What specific promises in this passage give you hope and confidence in the Word of God? (Share a verse or promise right out of the text).
- In what ways are you tempted to become lazy or discouraged in your work? How does thinking about Jesus’ second coming help you work better as a Christian?
- What motivates your work and your confidence? Does your own experience create confidence, and does your own willpower create hope? How might experience and willpower fall short as proper desires for work and confidence?
For Further Reading: Kostenberger, Andreas. Jesus and the Future: Understanding What He Taught About the End Times (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2017).